Who of us doesn’t like cake? Especially chocolate cake… Imagine a gooey, flavor-rich chocolate cake which is …healthy! Yes, that can be true 🙂
This cake is gluten-, dairy-, refined sugar-free and tastes like heaven!
Don’t be surprised by the sweet potatoes as a key ingredient, they make the cake very soft and moist, but the cocoa with the dates are the key flavors that come through.
Makes 1 medium sized cake
2 sweet potatoes
10 Medjool dates, pitted
3 tbs maple syrup
4 tbs raw cocoa (unsweetened)
5 tbs coconut oil
100g ground almonds
3 tbs cocoa nibs (optional)
1 lemon (optional)
Here is how it goes:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Peel the potatoes, cut them into small chunks and steam them in a pan for about 10 min until they become soft and easy to mash.
- Add the sweet potatoes and all the rest of the ingredients to your food processor and mix until smooth (about 4-5 min, depending how strong your machine is).
- Pour the mixture into a cake tin lined with parchment paper. The mixture should be not more than 3 cm thick. Bake for around 30-40 min.
- Let the cake sit in the spring form for about 30 min. If you want you can put some lemon zest on the cake, it gives it a nice fresh flavor.
Actually, you can also make this cake using a blender (as I did), however it might be that the mixture will be turn out as smoothly blended as in a food processor.
Enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee! Let me know how you like it!